PhD in Materials Engineering, University of Minho
Master in Polymer Engineering, University of Minho
Graduation in Biochemistry, University of Algarve
Author name: S. M. Marques
Within materials for biomedical applications, there is increasing attention for the development of prevention mechanisms detecting early stages of problems associated with implantation. As one of the most important information to be obtained are the dynamic mechanical loads, it seem interesting to rely on piezoelectric materials in order to achieve smart implants because they not only react to mechanical and electrical solicitations, but also can be used as sensors and actuators. However, for the acquisition of the electrical signal of the sensor, from/to the piezoelectric material, suitable electrodes can be produced from Ti based coatings with tailored multifunctional properties. This work reports on Ti1-xAgx electrodes and Ag-TiNy electrodes deposited by d. c. and pulsed magnetron sputtering at room temperature on poly(vinylidene fluoride)(PVDF). By tuning the deposition conditions, one can obtain coatings with different silver and nitrogen content.
In this project, the different processing conditions will allow to obtain different thin films deposited on polymer sensors that will be used to establish a relationship between thin film characteristics (structure, morphology and composition), their properties (mechanical, electrical and antibacterial), and in particular the change in polymer piezoelectric response.
Publications (click here for more information)
- “STRAIN ANALYSIS OF PHOTOCATALYTIC TiO2 THIN FILMS ON POLYMER SUBSTRATES”, C.J. Tavares, S.M. Marques, S. Lanceros-Méndez, V. Sencadas, V. Teixeira J.O. Carneiro, A.J. Martins, A.J. Fernandes, in Thin Solid Films, vol.516, no.7 (2008) 1434-1438.
- “PVD-GROW PHOTOCATALYTIC TiO2 THIN FILMS ON PVDF SUBSTRATES FOR SENSORS AND ACTUATORS APPLICATIONS”, C.J. Tavares, S.M. Marques, S. Lanceros-Méndez, V. Sencadas, V. Teixeira J.O. Carneiro, A.J. Martins, A.J. Fernandes, in Thin Solid Films,vol. 517, Issue 3, 1 December 2008, pag. 1161-1166.
- “ENHANCEMENT OF THE PHOTOCATALYTIC NATURE OF NITROGEN-DOPED PVD-GROWN TITANIUM DIOXIDE THIN FILMS”, C.J. Tavares, S.M. Marques, T. Viseu, V. Teixeira, J.O. Carneiro, E. Alves, N.P. Barradas, F. Munnik, T. Girardeau, J.-P. Rivière, Journal of Applied Physics 106 (2009) 113535.
- “N-DOPED PHOTOCATALYTIC TITANIA THIN FILMS ON ACTIVE POLYMER SUBSTRATES”, C.J. Tavares, S.M. Marques, S. Lanceros-Méndez, L. Rebouta, E. Alves, N.P. Barradas, F. Munnik, T. Girardeu, J.P. Rivière, in Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 10 (2010), 1072-1077.
- “X-RAY SCATTERING EXPERIMENTS ON SPUTTERED TITANIUM DIOXIDE COATINGS ONTO PVDF POLYMERS FOR SELF-CLEANING APPLICATIONS”, S. M. Marques, C. J. Tavares, S. Lanceros-Mendez, Z. Denchev, in Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Received 4 February 2010; accepted 3 May 2010, DOI 10.1002/app.32744
- “PHOTOCATALYTIC DEGRADATION OF C.I. REACTIVE BLUE 19 WITH NITROGEN DOPED TiO2 CATALYSTS THIN FILMS UNDER UV/VISIBLE LIGHT”, S.M. Marques, C.J. Tavares, A.M.F. Oliveira-Campos, submetido no Jounal of Molecular Struture, 2010.
- "Ti1-xAgx ELECTRODES DEPOSITED ON POLYMER BASED SENSORS", S.M. Marques, N.K. Manninen, S. Ferdov, S. Lanceros-Mendez, S. Carvalho, Applied Surface Science, 317 (2014) 490–495. doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2014.08.142.
- "Ag-TiNx ELECTRODES DEPOSITED ON PIEZOELECTRIC POLY(VINYLIDENE FLUORIDE) BASED SENSORS", S.M. Marques, N.K. Manninen, S. Lanceros-Mendez, S. Carvalho, Submitted to Applied Surface Science (Oct. 2014)