Luísa Isabel Serra da Glória Fialho
PhD in Materials Engineering, University of Minho
MSc in Biomedical Engineering, NOVA School of Science and Technology
BSc in Biomedical Engineering, NOVA School of Science and Technology
Scopus ID: 57132704900
Ciência ID: E21E-7900-7D05
Author name: Luísa Fialho (L. Fialho)
Luísa Fialho is a researcher at Centre of Physics from Universities of Minho and Porto (CFUM-UP). She received her M.Sc. in Biomedical Engineering from Faculty of Science and Engineering of NOVA University (2015) and her Ph.D. in Materials Engineering from University of Minho (2021). Her research interests include surface modification and functionalization (by electrochemical processes, such as anodization and micro-arc oxidation, and PVD processes, like magnetron sputtering), advanced electron microscopy (SEM, FIB and TEM) and biological characterization of innovative biomaterials for medical devices and tissue engineering scaffolds, with special focus on bone healing and infection prevention.
Researcher within the scope of the project “HEALTHYDENT - Desenvolvimento de novos implantes dentários osteointegrados com propriedades antimicrobianas”, with the reference POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030708 at the University of Minho.
Areas of interest
- Tissue engineering scaffolds – electrospinning.
- Development of new biomaterials by anodization and magnetron sputtering.
- Advanced characterization: morphological by scanning and transmission electron microscopy; chemical composition by EDS and XPS; phase composition by X-ray diffraction.
- Biological characterization: animal cell and microbial cultures; cytocompatibility and antimicrobial assays.
- C.F. Almeida Alves, L. Fialho; S. M. Marques; S. Pires; P. Rico; C. Palacio; S. Carvalho. “MC3T3-E1 cell response to microporous tantalum oxide surfaces enriched with Ca, P and Mg”. Materials Science & Engineering: C (2021). URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2021.112008
- Luísa Fialho, Liliana Grenho, Maria H. Fernandes, Sandra Carvalho. “Porous tantalum oxide with osteoconductive elements and antibacterial core-shell nanoparticles: A new generation of materials for dental implants”. Materials Science and Engineering: C 120 (2021). URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2020.111761
- Fialho, L., Almeida Alves, C. F., Marques, L. S., Carvalho, S. “Development of stacked porous tantalum oxide layers by anodization.” Applied Surface Science. 511 (2020) 145542. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2020.145542
- Fialho, L., Carvalho, S. “Surface engineering of nanostructured Ta surface with incorporation of osteoconductive elements by anodization”. Applied Surface Science. 495 (2019) 143573. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2019.143573
- Rebelo, R., Manninen, N.K., Fialho, L., Henriques, M., Carvalho, S. “Morphology and oxygen incorporation effect on antimicrobial activity of silver thin films”. Applied Surface Science. 371 (2016) 1-8. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2016.02.148
- S.M. Marques, P. Rico, I. Carvalho, J.L. Gómez Ribelles, L. Fialho, S. Lanceros-Méndez, M. Henriques, S. Carvalho. "MC3T3-E1 Cell Response to Ti1-xAgx and Ag-TiNx Electrodes Deposited on Piezoelectric Poly(vinylidene fluoride) Substrates for Sensor Applications". ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. 8 (2016) 4199–207. URL: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.5b11922
Oral and Poster Communications
- “Development of Bioactive Tantalum Oxide Surface”, L. Fialho, C.F. Almeida Alves, S. Carvalho, XV Congreso Nacional de Materiales – I Iberian Meeting on Materials Science, Salamanca, Spain, 4-6 July 2018.
- “Surface engineering of metallic Ta substrates: improvement of bioactivity by anodization and antimicrobial activity by magnetron sputtering”, L. Fialho, S. Calderon V., S. Carvalho, IBERTRIVA 2019 – X Iberian Conference on Tribology / XI Iberian Vacuum Conference, Seville, Spain, 26 – 28 June 2019.
- “First insights of a novel antibacterial and cytocompatible porous Ta2O5 surface doped with zinc oxide nanoparticles”, Luísa Fialho, L. Grenho, M. H. Fernandes, S. Calderon V., Sandra Carvalho, 17th International Conference on Plasma Surface Engineering - Special PSE, Erfurt, Germany, 7 – 10 September 2020.
- “New cytocompatible and antibacterial porous Ta₂O₅ surface: dental implant prototype”, L. Fialho, L. Grenho, M. H. Fernandes, L. Forte Martins, S. Carvalho, ICMCTF 2021 - 47th International Conference on Metallurgical Coatings and Thin Films, Virtual Conference, 26-30 April.
- “Development of cytocompatible and antibacterial porous tantalum oxide surfaces doped with zinc oxide nanoparticles”, Luísa Fialho, Maria Helena Fernandes, Sandra Carvalho, Symposium of Materials Science and Enginnering of DCE21 - 4th Doctoral Congress in Engineering, Porto, Portugal, 28-29 September 2021. (AWARD OF BEST ORAL COMMUNICATION).
- “Development of new osseointegrated and antimicrobial tantalum implant”, Luísa Fialho, Liliana Grenho, Maria Helena Fernandes, Sandra Carvalho, EUROMAT 2021 – European Congress and Exhibition on Advanced Materials and Processes, Virtual Conference, 13-17 September 2021.
- “Design of new osseointegrated and antimicrobial Tantalum dental implant “, L. Fialho, S. Pires, J. Oliveira, S. Calderon, P. Sampaio, S. Carvalho, BiomatDevices whorshop 2nd edition, Guimarães, Portugal, 18 May 2019.
- “Surface engineering of nanostructured Ta surface with incorporation of osteoconductive elements by anodization “, L. Fialho, S. Carvalho, Jornadas 2019 CF-UM-UP, Universidade do Minho of Minho, Braga, Portugal, 13 December 2019.