Edgar Manuel Neto Carneiro
PhD student in Materials Engineering, University of Minho
MSc, Engineering of Materials, University of Minho
BSc, Engineering of Materials, University of Minho
Scopus ID: 56242380900
Author name: Carneiro, E.
Edgar Carneiro has a MSc. in Materials Engineering from the University of Minho in the scientific area of diamond-like PVD coatings for urethral stents. Currently his PhD is focused into the development of alternative coatings to replace electroplated hexavalent chromium and thus exploring the vast spectrum of their mechanical, tribological, wear and corrosion properties, either in laboratory conditions or in real life condition.
Areas of interest
- Engineering and Technology - Materials Engineering - Coating and Films
- Engineering and Technology - Materials Engineering - Materials Engineering
In September 21, 2017, REACH regulation entered into force across EU meaning that it is urgent to find an alternative to the electrodeposition processes of hexavalent chromium employed in several industrial applications. These procedures are hazardous to human health and to the environment being of extreme importance its rapid replacement. Minting is one of those application where the good mechanical and tribological properties of hard chromium were never outmatched by any other coating. My current work aim is to produce Me-Co-C(N) coatings by magnetron sputtering as a viable alternative to Cr VI thin films used nowadays. By tuning the deposition parameter, coatings with different molybdenum and nitrogen content will be produced and later characterized, thus exploring the vast spectrum of their mechanical, tribological, wear and corrosion properties, either in laboratory conditions or in real life condition.
Publications (click here for more information)
- Bianca Caratão, Edgar Carneiro, Pedro Sá, Bernardo Almeida, and Sandra Carvalho, “Properties of Electrospun TiO2 Nanofibers,” Journal of Nanotechnology, vol. 2014, Article ID 472132, 5 pages, 2014. URL: https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/472132
- Edgar Carneiro, Pedro Sá, Bernardo Almeida, Carlos Américo Pinto, Joana Tinoco Fernandes, João Pedro Mendonça, Sandra Carvalho, "Effect of Electrospun Alumina Nanofibers Incorporation in Ceramic Glaze", Journal of Ceramic Science and Technology, Accepted (Jan. 13, 2015).
- Castro, J.D., Carneiro, E., Marques, S. M., Figueiredo, B., Pontes, A. J., Sampaio, A. M., Carvalho, I., Henriques, M., Cruz, P. J. S. & Carvalho, S. Surface functionalization of 3D printed structures: Aesthetic and antibiofouling properties. Surface and Coatings Technology, (2020), p. 125464. Quartile: Q1 Impact factor: 3.192 URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2020.125464
- Artemísia Caldas, Jefferson Mendes de Souza, Edgar Carneiro, Sandra Carvalho, "Functionalization of fabrics by Ag-TiO2 Nanoparticles deposition by sol-gel method". REDIGE V. 8, n°. 03, 2021. URL:https://redige.cetiqt.senai.br/redige/index.php/redige-cetiqt-senai-br/issue/viewIssue/25/20
- E. Carneiro, José D. Castro, S.M. Marques, A. Cavaleiro, S. Carvalho, REACH regulation challenge: Development of alternative coatings to hexavalent chromium for minting applications, Surface and Coatings Technology, Volume 418, 25 July 2021, 127271 , Quartile: Q1, Impact Factor: 3.784 URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2021.127271
- Carneiro E, Parreira NMG, Vuchkov T, Cavaleiro A, Ferreira J, Andritschky M, Carvalho S. Cr-Based Sputtered Decorative Coatings for Automotive Industry. Materials. 2021; 14(19):5527. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma14195527